Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

I LOVE shepherd's pie.  Did I mention that I love it?  I have had it all ways - with beef, with chicken, vegetarian and most versions I really like.  And now that it is getting chilly outside I decided it was time to have this for dinner.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (I use 93% lean)
1/2 onion - chopped
5 button mushrooms - sliced thin
1 1/2 cups frozen peas - thawed
1 can "healthy" cream of mushroom soup
2 cups mashed potatoes

Preheat the oven to 350* and spray 9" x 13" baking pan with non stick spray.  In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onions.  Once browned (about 8 minutes), add mushrooms and cook 2-3 more minutes.  Add peas and soup, stir and pour into baking pan.  Top with mashed potatoes, spread over the meat mixture and bake 25-30 minutes (this allows the flavors to combine).  Enjoy!

Variations:
I have seen many recipes that add cheese, which would probably be delicious between the beef and the potatoes, but I was trying to keep it on the light side.  You could add any number of veggies to this (chopped up small) - particularly if you have picky children.  It would be a good way to get them to eat their daily servings ;-).

No comments: