Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tomato Garbanzo Curry

One of these days I will remember to take pictures - I promise!!  I just get so excited for the food I forget to animate the posts :-).

I found the following recipe in a magazine at some point, I think of the Sunset recipe collections they put out a couple times a year.  It has become a staple in our house since we always have the ingredients on hand and I don't even refer to the recipe anymore.  I always make double since the leftovers are as good, if not better than the original dish.  I L.O.V.E. this recipe and would venture to guess it is one of Ben's favorites too.  I think he has even requested it on a few occasions.

Ingredients:
2 cans garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans petite cut, diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion, diced small
2 tsp cumin
1 tbs curry powder (less or more depending on your tastes)
oil for pan
Cooked rice of your preference
Plain yogurt

Directions:
Heat pan and add oil.  Once hot saute onion for 3 minutes.  Add garlic and saute one more minute.  Add cumin and curry, saute for one minute (you should start to smell the fragrance being released from the spices). Add garbanzo beans and tomatoes, stew for 10-15 minutes, lid on to prevent from drying.

Serve over rice and add yogurt on the side.  I am always sad not to have the yogurt in the event I have forgotten to pick it up, especially if I have made it a little spicy, so don't forget!!

2 comments:

tlee said...

This is one of my favorites too, thanks to you.

tlee said...

Annie, doesn't it have cayenne pepper too?